Sunday, May 10, 2009

MY MOM!


Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Let me tell you about my mom.
She is beautiful..... Inside and out!
And she loves you, no matter what.

No matter what covers a LOT of territory with me! I'm a tough one!

-----------------------------------------
My mom is my rock! She is what keeps me steady through the hard times.
My mom also has Lupus, as did her father.


Four years ago I was diagnosed with a spinal cord tumor. At the time of diagnosis I was close to being paralyzed and had been having medical issues for years. My doctor thought I had MS, I thought my life was falling apart.

After multiple diagnosis, tests, frustrations and no real answers a full body MRI showed a spinal cord tumor in the T9-11 area of my back. It had compressed my spinal cord into almost nothingness.

I was diagnosed on the 13th of August 2004 and went in to surgery on the 20th.

My mom was with me through it all.

My mom, with her own hard medical problems, went to the Dr visits, was scared right along with me, and stayed with me in the hospital for 9 days after my surgery. Those nine days were no picnic. My mom, not the nurses bathed me. My mom helped feed me. My mom helped me to the bathroom. My mom was the nurses dream come true.

Because the tumor had wreaked havoc on the nerves that operated my lower body, I had to relearn a lot of things.

My mom was there through all of that too.

She helped me learn how to sit up again, how to stand, how to WALK!

Then instead of sending me off to a rehab center to continue my care. My mom, my wonderful mother. Took me home to her house and took care of me for another 9 days.
She did this wonderful thing for me and at the same time she made sure my 4 year old daughter was fed, clothed and taken care of.


In all honesty I went home too soon. But caring for me was taking its toll on my moms health and on my dads nerves. Because what I failed to say above, is that my mom was sick the whole time she was taking care of me. That sickness, because of her Lupus and running her body down while she took care of me, hung on for MONTHS and MONTHS and in the end caused permanent health problems.

But my mom pushed through it for me.

Then after I went home, struggling with a walker and cane in a two story condo. My mom checked up on me. She stopped by, she called. She wanted to make sure I was okay.

I lied to my mom a LOT during those times, because I was rarely okay, and ya know, I think my mom knew I was lying. Moms are like that.

But she respected my independence and helped me as much as I would allow.

My mom is a ROCK!

Happy Mother's Day MOM
I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog thru your comment on Coal Creek Farm and this is the first post I read. You made me teary telling about the love and dedication your mom has for you. I guess you know how beautiful and amazing her love for you is, but for those of us who don't have the kind of mother that loves and treasures us, it was especially touching to read about yours and I'm so glad you wrote about her here. You have a new fan. :o)
L

sharonw05 said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Mother! Happy Mother's Day--a little late!