Saturday, May 16, 2009

I LOVE SPRING

This is my favorite time of the year. Emmi and I have spent the last month or so (when it wasn't pouring down rain) getting the yard all spruced up. This year hasn't been as bad as years past. Every year there are less weeds to worry about.

One day there won't be any.

I wish!

So today we got the rest of our garden planted. We have added things this year that we haven't planted before (or for a long time) and it seems we have lots of food out there.

We have: Baby Carrots, Peas, Green Onions, Zucchini, Crookneck Squash, Head Lettuce, Leaf Lettuce, Pumpkins, Baby Pumpkins, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, and Tomatoes...Oh and strawberries and Blackberries and Apples and Peaches.

Not all of those last few are in the garden.

So here is the garden.


Oh and LOOK, my neighbor mowed his lawn (another story for another day)

Here are Emmi's Head Lettuce. The lady at the nursery told Emmi that the bugs stay away if you plant marigolds and basil by them. I think she just wanted us to buy more plants. I also think these will die a slow and painful death.


And here is the Cantaloupe. I will be surprised if these last a week. More than likely I will be buying some from the nursery in a few days. These were planted from seed in our house.


And the strawberries that will become a nice meal for the birds in a month or so.
I really don't expect to eat one. How sad is that?
This is my pride and joy (after my child). This is my "snoopy garden". It got that name because it looks like the silhouette of snoopy. I loooooooooove my decorative gardens!

I'll post pictures of it as the summer progresses and other things start blooming.
Happy Spring.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Charity,
Marigolds DO keep away some bugs....I don't know which ones, but they do. You may also want to go to your nursery and buy some ladybugs (your favorite!) because they eat some of the other bugs that love gardens. In addition, don't forget to water the little things as they sprout up ;-)

Charity said...

Jean,
We have purchased ladybugs for two years now. The first year they all few away... we didn't see them all summer... Last year they stuck around. We have seen quite a few ladybugs this spring too.

I plan on buying some when they hit the stores, but so far we have not found any packages of the little critters. I'm thinking that if we find them I am going to buy more than the two we usually do.

I sprinkle them on the garden and on my fruit trees.

sharonw05 said...

Well, who knew you could BUY ladybugs! I love the internet--I learn new things all the time! Here we have squirrels and rabbits to deal with!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Charity, good luck with your fruit and veggies Sue