Monday, June 1, 2009

IT IS A TIE GAME

Motherhood sure seems like a game sometimes.

Why is it that summer hits, and there is no more school, and yet my daughter has to find something to whine about?

This past Friday it was that school was over and... (in a high pitched whine) "I won't see my friends aaaaall summer long, cause I can't stay home, cause you have to work."

Then there was the "no sleepover" whine. This one is a good one! If your children haven't ever whined about not getting a sleepover...you should start telling them "no" just to experience this particular whine. It can go on for hours and hours.

All yesterday it was the "I'm not a baby" whine. You see, last summer my daughter decided she hated going to the babysitters house. She has been going there for 3 years now and doesn't like it. There are really no kids her age there, so I understand. But she isn't a baby, so she didn't want to go the the babysitters this summer.

Instead we decided to send her to a youth center. Where there will be kids of all ages, games, reading time, outings....FUN RIGHT????

Well, you probably see what is coming...a whine...

"But I don't KNOW anyone there."

Ummmm HELP ME, I'm loosing here!

But this week the center isn't opened, so she has to go do the babysitters. So this morning as we are driving over there she says.

"All I'm going to do is change baby diapers and have to hold crying babies all day long. What do you think of that."

My response was. "Well, there is nothing like learning about real life. All I did for 3 years was change baby diapers and listen to you cry. Now I just get to listen to you whine."

I got a pout, an eye roll, and a sigh.

I've decided that once you become a mom you never win anymore. It is nice to just have a tie game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You get the eye roll when they are 16, 17, and 18 also! And there is always something for them to whine about...."why don't I get to do that? so/and/so gets to do that".

BUT, when they become young women (about 19, 20, 21) you will fall in love with them all over again.

And when they have children of their own, you get to listen to them complain about the "eye roll" and the whining! HA!

Jean (been there/done that!)