Monday, June 1, 2009

MY SWEET SIXTEEN APPLE TREE


Two years ago (spring 2007) I set out to find an apple tree for my yard. I had some parameters to guide my decision but what I really wanted was a Fuji Apple tree.
When I couldn't find a short Fuji, I started looking for other apple trees.

I wanted an apple that I could eat, but that was firm enough to bottle into apple pie filling. The tree also had to be short. (I have a fear of tall trees...really I do) So I wanted a tree that didn't grow over 15-20 ft high.

I also wanted a short tree because I have to pick the dag-nabbid things and don't want to regret my tree decision in 10 years when I need to hire someone to climb it and pick it.

While I was out searching for trees I came across a Sweet Sixteen Apple. It was a hybrid between something and something else and was designed up in Minnesota for the cold temps. It was a shorter apple tree and could be canned. So I bought it.

After I had planted the tree I decided to do some research on it.

I know, I really didn't think that one out...did I?

There were a lot of sites on the apple tree but there were some that concerned me. People said it took many many years before the tree produced, some saying that it never did. That really worried me. Then there was my dad, who told me I had picked a tree that would never grow apples. That didn't help!

I decided that if the tree didn't produce in 3 years that I would just buy another apple tree and plant it next to the Sweet Sixteen.

Last year it bloomed...like 8 blooms... but it bloomed none the less. I started to get really excited, hoping for apples. But the blooms fell off and I cried...then I went on with life.

This past spring I started wondering if there were any pollinating trees in the area, so I searched out and not seeing any other apple or crabapple trees I decided to buy another apple tree. I bought a Fuji. (hahaha)

But then the Sweet Sixteen busted out in these beautiful white flowers. Since my Fuji had just been planted and wasn't blooming, I again began to worry that I wouldn't get apples.

But low and behold, a neighbor a few houses over has an apple tree, and because of that I got these cute little green and red devils hanging on my tree.

I couldn't be prouder.
And I can't wait to eat them!

No comments: